5.30.2011

FAQ / the importance of e-sessions

E for engagement, incase you were wondering what the e in e-session stands for! When I first saw the word e-session when I started my business I was so confused by it. I had no idea what it stood for! I thought it was e for electronic or something. Like email or evite, etc. So, don't be embarrassed if you didn't know what it meant either!

When I first started this wedding photography journey I didn't fully comprehend the importance of each couple having an engagement session before their wedding day. I include a complimentary engagement session with all of my packages for that reason. I've had a few couples opt out of having an e-session, and that's totally fine! Out of the 6 weddings I've photographed, half of them have had engagement sessions and the other half did not. I've noticed a few things from this.

First of all, whether or not you choose to go ahead with the e-session, your wedding day will still rock! I've had a blast at every wedding I've shot so far, so don't feel like your at a disadvantage if you choose not to have one! But, I can tell you for certain, the photo part of a wedding day goes a little bit smoother, and quicker, when the couple has had the engagement session.

What is the purpose of an e-session? Aside from getting some great shots of you and your fiance at such an exciting time in your life it also gives you a chance to get to know me better, as your wedding photographer. On most occasions, this will be the first time that we'll actually meet each other before the wedding day. So it gives us a chance to get to know each other better, and it helps you be more comfortable around me and in front of my camera. Of the weddings I've done where the couple had an engagement session, the photo part of the day tends to flow just a wee bit better than of those who did not have one. They already know where I want them to look, how the guy should put his hand in his pocket, how to walk so that it looks good in a picture, etc, etc.

And, it's free, so why not?! :) Like I said, I offer an e-session as a complimentary service to my couples because I really find it beneficial to everyone! Even if you don't plan to use any of these images for your wedding or invitations it's still a nice way to get professional pictures of you and your fiance.

That being said, how can you make the most of your engagement shoot? I love to encourage my couples to think outside of the box. Bring props that we can incorporate into the shoot, be as personal and as quirky as you want! If you and your fiance love going on picnics, then let's recreate a picnic in a field. If you both like to read, bring some books along, and some antique spectacles.

Also, allow yourself to feel beautiful. Let's be real here, it's terribly awkward having your picture taken. You feel like your smile looks funny and you don't know where to put your hands or if your eyes look creepy,  or whatever. I've been on the other side of the camera and I can attest to this. It's awkward and you get all self conscious. Mostly us women, the guys tend to just show up, somewhat begrudgingly, but they're usually not too concerned about how they look! My job is to make you feel comfortable, relaxed and affirm you that you are doing a great job and that you do, in fact, look fabulous. But it really does help if you take that extra time to glamify yourself! Treat yourself by getting your make-up done professionally and get a stylist to style your hair the day of your session. Trust me, it will boost your confidence ten fold!

Along the same lines, think about the clothes that you'll wear. I love a pop of colour on my models. Cheerful, bright, fresh colours. But not too much. :) Bring a couple outfits if you'd like, one more dressy and one more casual. And dress the casual up just a touch as well. You won't regret it!

But the main thing is that you stay true to you. If you don't ever ever wear heels then please don't even think about wearing them to the session. I don't want you to look back on your photos and go "why did I wear those heels?!?! That's so not me!" (This is all true for your wedding day as well!) This session is meant to fully capture you and your fiance's personalities in their rawest form! Your wedding day will naturally be a little more formal, so take advantage of your engagement session to do those shots and poses and whatnot that you probably wouldn't do on your wedding day.

Does that make sense? I feel like I was a little all over the place in my thinking, which led to this post. I hope it makes sense and that you get where I'm going with this. And please don't feel bad if you've turned down an e-session with me! It's totally fine!!! I've loved every wedding I've done so far and the results have been great either way!

Just something to think about!

1 comment:

  1. this is really nice article about engagement pictures

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a note! I love reading your comments! All comments are moderated by me.

Followers